Before I move on to Shanghai, let me just say that what I saw in this little box right next to the cashier in the Tokyo/Narita airport gift shop is just wrong. At least for an airport giftshop! But I wouldn't link the photo directly even if I could (can't while I'm in China and posting via email). I give you..... Squeezable Mimi's (warning PG-13 and not really safe for work, though i did see it in the airport!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/86747592@N00/4095582618/
Anyway, when last we left our intrepid traveler... I made it back to Narita for a stay in a not-worth-mentioning hotel. This morning I got up, had breakfast, went to the airport, bought a few more little things, waited for a bit, then boarded the plane for Shanghai. The flight had a lot of turbulance early on, but other than that was uneventful. I did some reading and some watching of TED.com videos. And after waiting a bit at the airport (we got in quite early and there was no line at customs at all), Itamar came and met me and we went back to his apartment. HIs wife had set up everything I could possibly need, including snacks, towels, and guide books. Itamar headed back to the office, I did a little laundry and watched some Shanghai tv while flipping through the guide books. I ended spending almost an hour watching some magician do tricks, and now I've seen him on two commercials since then, so he must be their umm... Chris Angel? David Blaine? Except this guy was just doing close-up card tricks and the like, not freaking people out and being weird.
Anyway, once Fabiane and Itamar (did I mention they're Brazilian?) came home from work, we went out for a quick non-Chinese dinner and then went to the grocery store. And that's when I started taking pictures today. I've got a ton from this k-mart style store, where the bottom floor is a grocery store. From cleaners to turtles and eels, and buns, they've got it. Plus Jackie Chan product, and Mr Muscle cleaner! This whole photo set is the store: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86747592@N00/sets/72157622657670921/
I did also finish up the latest Dan Brown last night. Lost Symbol. Pretty entertaining, and a good airport/train/chilled read. Now I'm reading a thesis on the Thinking Behind Design. Plus a couple of Fast Company's I didn't get through before leaving. But for now, I sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment